Thursday, August 9, 2007

Quotes: Mood

A collection of quotes on various topics. The sentence in bold face is a plain statement of the quote that follows.

Mood
It was as if all joy had vanished from the world.
Mood 210 …it seemed as if all joy had vanished from the world, never to be restored. E. Brontë, Wuthering Heights.

He threw all the books on the fire to offer sacrifice to his spleen.
Mood 369 He [Hareton] afterwards gathered the books and hurled them on the fire…I read in his countenance what anguish it was to offer that sacrifice to spleen. E. Brontë, Wuthering Heights.

I have so little interest in my daily life that I hardly remember to eat and drink.
Mood 390 Heathcliff: I take so little interest in my daily life, that I hardly remember to eat and drink. . E. Brontë, Wuthering Heights.

I have to remind myself to breathe and remind my heart to beat.
Mood 392 Heathcliff: I have to remind myself to breathe—almost to remind my heart to beat. . E. Brontë, Wuthering Heights.

She anticipated some event to interrupt her composed and tranquil state.
Mood 315 [Emma] felt as if the spring would not pass without bringing a crisis, an event, a something to alter her present composed and tranquil state. Austen, Emma

In her present mood the only solace came from her resolution to behave better.
Mood 423 When it came to such a pitch as this, she was not able to refrain from a start, or a heavy sigh, or even from walking about the room for a few seconds—and the only source whence anything like consolation or composure could be drawn, was in the resolution of her own better conduct…. Austen, Emma

He went to London to learn how to be indifferent.
Mood 432 He [Mr. Knightley] had gone [to London] to learn to be indifferent. Austen, Emma

The castle was too full of night and winter.
Mood 601 For both women the castle was suddenly too dark, too empty, too lonely, too northerly, too full of night and winter. T. H. White, The Once and Future King.

She had gained ideas that disposed her to be courteous and kind to everyone and to pity everyone whom she thought to be less happy than she.
Mood 184 She had received ideas which disposed her to be courteous and kind to all, and to pity everyone, as being less happy than herself. Austen, Persuasion.

I sat in the rocking chair and felt that it was a place of peace.
Mood 470 I sat in the rocking-chair…the heart of the old house on Green Island…and felt that it was a place of peace, the little brown bedroom, and the quiet outlook upon field and sea and sky. Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

She said, “She’s really gone” to impress the sad fact upon her mind.
Mood 425 "So she's really gone, and the funeral was up to Lynn!" repeated Mrs. Todd, as if to impress the sad fact upon her mind. Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

I have patience, but no hope.
Mood 439 "I have come to know what it is to have patience, but I have lost hope." Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

A day like this gives beauty to people with the plainest faces.
Mood 457 Such a day as this has transfiguring powers, and easily makes friends of those who have been cold-hearted, and gives to those who are dumb their chance to speak, and lends some beauty to the plainest face. Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

I wished again for days in which nothing happened but herbs growing and the course of the sun.
Mood 484 I wished to have one of my first weeks back again, with those long hours when nothing happened except the growth of herbs and the course of the sun. Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

I was so beset by ennui that I almost was asphyxiated.
Mood 53 Flaubert on Rouen, France: At sunset yesterday the walls [of Rouen] were oozing such ennui that I was almost asphyxiated as I passed. Hull, ed. The Writer’s Book.

My own cheerfulness made everything around me cheerful.
Mood 1039 …when I brought my own cheerfulness into the saloon, these frescoes looked cheerful too. Hawthorne, The Marble Faun.

Dreariness magnifies and multiplies.
Mood 1123 …where all that is dreary in domestic life seems magnified and multiplied…. Hawthorne, The Marble Faun.

No comments:

Post a Comment