Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Quotes: Tact. Talk. Taste. Tavern. Taxes.

Tact
Tact 414 Tact is after all a kind of mind reading…. Jewett, The country of the Pointed Firs.

Talk
Grand talk with empty content is amusing.
Talk 125 Aristophanes was amused by grand talk that covered empty content. E. Hamilton. The Greek Way.

Taste
Song won’t matter if the audience lacks the taste to appreciate it.
Taste 159 “What is the voice of song, when the world lacks the ear of taste?” Hawthorne, Tales and Sketches

Good taste involves a sense of limitation.
Taste 253 …in the end, splendor is dehumanizing, and a certain sense of limitation seems to be a condition of what we call good taste. Clark, Civilization.

Tavern
The joys of conversing in a tavern.
Tavern 620 Johnson: As soon as I enter the door of a tavern, I experience an oblivion of care, and a freedom from solicitude [anxiety]: when I am seated, I find the master courteous, and the servants obsequious to my call; anxious to know and ready to supply my wants: wine there exhilarates my spirits, and prompts me to free conversation and an interchange of discourse with those whom I most love: I dogmatize and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinion and sentiments I find delight. Boswell, Life of Johnson, Vol. 1.

Taxes
Taxes pay for civilized society.
Taxes 92 “Taxes,” observed Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., “are what we pay for civilized society.” Bradley, Time Present, Time Past.

Man is taxed; he does not consent to being taxed.
Taxes 11 …for no man that I know of is taxed by his own consent. Soame Jenyns, “The Objections to the Taxation…Considered.” 1765. Hofstadter, ed. Great Issues in American History. Vol. 1. Independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment